Self-storage is a convenient way to store extra items that you don't have space for in your home. In the extract below, you will learn a few self-storage tips and tricks.
Think About Your Future Needs
One of the considerations you need to make when choosing a storage unit is your future storage needs. For instance, if you sign up for the self-storage unit during summer, you should keep in mind that you may need somewhere to store your sports bike or boat during the winter. It is usually cheaper to hire a large storage unit as opposed to hiring several small units.
Pests such as termites and cockroaches may infest your storage unit. To prevent this, clean all items before storing them at the facility. Additionally, you could use termiticides to avoid a termite infestation. Line your cartons with dryer sheets to prevent pests such as mice from destroying your items.
Make Adequate Use of Available Space
Below are a few ways to protect your items and utilise space at the storage facility:
- Pack your items in cartons; they are easy to move and arrange.
- Things that you no longer need should be stacked at the furthest end of the unit.
- Dismantled furniture will occupy less space than assembled furniture.
- The storage unit should have an aisle. This ensures you can access items at the back.
- Use bubble or shrink wrap to pack fragile items such as electronics and glass fixtures. Newspaper wrap will prevent glass and ceramic utensils from getting scratched.
- Protect paintings and furniture by choosing a climate-controlled self-storage unit.
It would be disheartening if you found your storage unit was robbed. Therefore, critically evaluate the facility's security features. For example, security guards and a perimeter wall will prevent intruders from accessing the facility. Storage units with a restricted access system connected to an alarm will be more difficult to break into.
Some homeowner's insurance covers will cover items in the self-storage unit from threats such as fire and theft. If your insurance policy does not provide this coverage, consider investing in self-storage insurance.
Take Advantage of Extra Services
Some storage facilities will provide free parking spaces for their customers. Others offer conference facilities at discounted rates. Full-service self-storage is a service where the company picks up goods at your home and stores them at an appropriate storage unit. The storage company will deliver these items to your doorstep at your request.
People using self-storage units should think about their future needs, ensure the storage unit is pest-free, make maximum use of available space, examine the unit's security and take advantage of extra services.Share